Jan 14, 2009

Arrival in Manila

So I've made it to the Philippines. It only took two stop-overs, one in Vancouver, the other in Seoul (South Korea) and a good twenty some-odd hours of my life. Plus, I lost a day since they're 15 hours ahead here. But do not fret! I shall re-gain that day when I return.

How is the Philippines you ask?

I respond with - it is great!

I actually do really enjoy it here so far. The weather is incredible. It's nice to come from -30 degrees to plus 30 degrees. A good ol' 60 degree difference, but my body seems to be rejoicing because of it. Apparently this is the cold season, too. I guess in the coming months it won't be uncommon for the weather to reach 40 degrees.

The people here are also wonderful. They are so helpful at every turn and it really makes me think of Calgarians as pretty cold, ruthless people - even though we're supposedly nice compared to most other North American cities.

Manila, where I am staying now, is actually a pretty nice city. From what I was reading in some of the travel books I bought, they tended to be pretty anti-Manila due to the crowds, etc. It might be because I am actually somewhat out of the city that I enjoy it so much. But I went into the city yesterday and it was quite polluted since a lot of their vehicles run on diesel. The main mode of transportation here is the "jeepney", which were made out of WWII jeeps that the Americans left behind and they made them into buses - pretty cool, and they still use them today. Oh, they're also ostentatiously decorated. There are also the tricycles, which can't get onto major roads, but are used for smaller road traffic and they are quite handy. I have to admit, riding in one yesterday was pretty fun. They're motorcycles with sidecars. Both the tricycles and jeepneys are always crowded beyond their capacity, which is pretty funny sometimes.

I'm feeling a little sick today, unfortunately. I've got the good ol' runny nose, sore throat, difficulty swallowing, nauseous, fatigued, and borderline fever. Yup, it's kind of brutal. It might be some side effects from my anti-malarial meds coupled with jet lag and the fact that I've been around a few sick people lately. Or, it could be something else. We shall see...

Anyways, I head to my true destination, Davao City, tomorrow at 4pm. I'm excited to see where I'll be staying and to meet the people there. Hopefully feel better by then.



This is where I'm staying with Ate Lenie. Thanks Bernard! :)








4 comments:

Emily said...

Fab first entry! Really hope you are feeling better soon. xo

Nic and Carly said...

The Jeepney's are so very cool!
Great pics so far - you are seeing such amazing stuff!
Its so great everyone is so nice there, how lovely :)
Good luck with the upcoming (much smaller!) traveling. We cant wait to hear all about it! I hope you feel better as well, im sure Sebby can help you out with his expertise!
Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Im glad you are enjoying ur trip so far. Like I said there are a lot more stuff to see and do in the Philippines. You will love Davao and the people and the many cultural events they have every year. I cant wait to see some pics man! have a safe trip daniel!

Joe said...

Ostentatiously! The move to the Philippines has boosted your wordsmith skills. I'm glad to hear you got there okay man. Everything's going good here, we miss you at the gaming sessions. (Although I'm sure you are doing much more relevant and life-altering things there.) Really enjoyed the blog. Keep it updated!