Jan 18, 2009

The Beginning - Davao City

Davao City.... I am completely in love with it so far. All of the people have been so warm and open, and even more so than Manila was.

I don't really even know where to begin with how different things are here, so I'll just start.

Water - there are no hot water taps at where I live or where I was staying in Manila. I guess it's pretty uncommon. So no hot showers - wait, unless you boil the water, put it in a bucket with cold water and splash it onto yourself with a giant measuring cup (for food). Or at least that's the best way to describe it. For toilets, in many places there are not any "flushers" I guess you could say. Instead, a bucket of water with the measuring cup and you have to put the water in fast enough that the toilet flushed. Oh, and if you don't prefer toilet paper, you use the water. I have to say, it's been really cool to have to experience using water like this. It makes me realize how important of a commodity it is and how over-consumptive we are in the West. Also, we could easily make due without heated water... well except in the winter. The water is fine to drink here as well, which is a big bonus. Saving pisos! :)

Food - no vegetables. Or very little for that matter. Three meals a day consists of rice (always) with some sort of meat. So yes, it is a very good thing I stopped being a vegetarian about a month ago. Milk and dairy is really expensive here, so it's not really used in anything. In coffee, the powedered stuff, and the cheese is almost certainly processed. The vegetables, well you can get them if you seek them out, but it's usually a choice meat OR vegetables and there is always some meat in the vegetables anyways. Oh, and there's only a fork and spoon for utensils. So you must cut your meat with the spoon, shovel the piece and a little bit of rice in it with the fork and you have a delicious bite. Overall, I like the simplicity of the meals and they're usually pretty good tasting, but I do miss vegetables.

Security - There are security guards absolutely everywhere. We have two where I live who're here 24/7 at the entrance of the building. Also they are at malls and on the streets and everywhere. They check bags to look for bombs and such, since there were some bombings a few years ago around here. That's a whole different story altogether, though.

"The Stare" - OK, so you hear about going to Asia and people staring at you because you're caucasian. Well, a "stare" is probably an understatement at times. In Davao, there are far less tourists than other cities even in the Philippines because of the civil unrest in the region. So they rarely see white people. I ventured into Chinatown a couple of days ago to get an electric hot water boiler and some towels and the looks are intense! People stop what they are doing, and get whoever they are around to look. It's really quite funny. It's not creepy or scary in any way. I actually feel more like a celebrity than anything. Kind of - for lack of a better term - neat.

Poverty - There is extensive poverty here. A survey of the Philippines' results were that 40% of Filipinos consider themselves in poverty. But I have to admit, they have a very resiliant way of dealing with it! Instead of begging, people try to do what they can. Some ride tricycads (different than tricycles), which are pedal powered. Others shine shoes or open a little street venue selling fruit or handicrafts. The only people you see begging here are children and disabled people. In fact there's a couple of stories with that... and we know I love my stories... I'll keep them short.

OK, so there were some kids on the street begging. They had to be about 6-9 years old. They came up to me and distorted their faces in a way that begged the utmost sympathy. They actually had their lips pursed and tears welling in their eyes, hands outstreched for change. I felt a tug in my heart and I felt so bad for the kids. I was really close to giving them money but I told them no instead. I fealt so guilty, but I didn't want to support begging. So they went on to the person beside me (who was the only other person nearby) and he said no in a flash (a local). As soon as both of us said no, both had smiles on their faces and they started skipping away. DAMN they're good! Since then I don't feel so bad.

People here also want to have their photos taken for some reason. Not, with me, but by me. So people want me to take their pictures. And I do. I've taken a few groups of people now. There were a few kids who approached me to ask if I wanted my new sandals polished. I said no thanks and they just asked for a picture. There, I kept that one short. Here's a picture. One didn't want to be in it.









OK, this is getting super long and has eaten up a good chunk of my day. Plus, I have to go for dinner soon. So the AIESECers here who I have met have been absolutely amazing. First the other interns here from abroad are all extremely friendly and it's always a great time hanging out with them. Here's Byeongseong from South Korea and Kathryn from Saskatchewan (she doesn't like being called from Calgary where she went to university). :) Hi Kathryn!










The photo below is of Krista and Kerstine under a beautiful Davao sunset. They are two of the many great AIESEC people I've met here. It's been a really good past few days.












I'm really enjoying it here. I start work tomorrow and I have a lot more to say but it's time to go eat. I hope I could give a good taste of Davao.

Oh yeah, I'm feeling a lot better now, too. I have a head cold and a fever left over. I think it was just some intense jet lag and maybe some of the food or water or something. But I'm getting down with the sickness and I should be immune to probably everything by the end of this week!

This is there I will be spending the next 5 months. It's actually super nice - I am impressed.














2 comments:

Nic and Carly said...

Sounds like you are having so much fun and many new realizations! This was such an informative post to read, wow! We are happy to hear that you are feeling better (so worried!) - and now you can continue your adventure in good health :) Your living situation looks great, and it seems you are meeting some great friends, thats awesome! Whats up next for you?
Miss you lots - and lots and lots!

Sebastien said...

What's up Dan!

I love the post! and "the stare" and stories.

I also like the pic of you and the two ladies and the sweet sunset WOW

Enjoy and glad you are feeling better.

Keep on posting!

Enjoy the new job, rock on!